Caryn's Digital History Blogsite Rotating Header Image

It’s Launched!!!!

We are so very excited to have launched our website…and on time no less, not that we had a choice after the Alumni Meeting! We worked very hard over the weekend to update the site and tweak the format to make it look professional and what not. Mary Ann made and AMAZING slide show on her Mac as well as the how to language, Jonathan worked on the guestbook, Megan worked on rewording and tweaking, and I learned HTML to reformat and “prettify” (yeah that’s right I made up a word) our site. The fruits of our labor were realized when Megan made the site public at midnightish on Monday March, 15th!

I am really excited about the HTML and I don’t want to brag because honestly folks, it was SUPER EASY!!! So Here is what I have learned thus far: How to make tables – <table></table>, with rows <tr> </tr> and cells <td> </td>.  You can follow this link to see what I have created! Images Glossary

There is a mozilla plugin color picker helped me find the actual colors that our site uses by scrolling over them with your mouse so that I could snaz up the table them into the table. I also learned how to make words and lines of a table blocked in a color!!!

For our how to page, I had originally designed an HTML list with bullets but the sites own code over wrote it so I literally went online to find out how to make bullet/number lists in CSS and copy and pasted the code…I hope that this is ok. Here is the site where I found that: CSS Numbered Lists. From this “lesson” I created this: How To

I also learned how to make things <b>BOLD</b>, <u>UNDERLINED</u>, and <i>ITALICIZED</i> and add hyperlinks into a HTML doc <a> href=”http://clevinedigitalhistory.umwblogs.org/” target=”new”> Hyperlink</a>

I am going to talk about some of this stuff tomorrow, but I am so proud that I was able to write code that I just can’t help myself from posting it on my blog.

In other news, now that our site is launched we are in the serious research phase of our project. For those of you who may have thought that we were finished…I assure you that we are not. The fundemental difference between our site and the others is that most of the projects conduct the research to present in a final site but with ours, the site is the first step in conducting the research. We can’t wait to look through all the year books which you can actually check out of the library (if anyone was wondering).  Beyond year books, we are going to look at the College’s history so that we can add further updates to the exhibits pages.

I think that we are moving at a good pace here, there is still a lot of research ahead and about 50 miscellaneous photos that need to be researches, cataloged, and tagged but we can handle it!

DON’T FORGET THE CHECK OUT OUR SITE AND SIGN THE GUESTBOOK!!!
fyi: I totally used HTML to make that last statement bold, underlined and link to our site!

4 Comments on “It’s Launched!!!!”

1. #1 Kari Wilson
    on Mar 18th, 2010 at 8:22 am

that is so awesome that you learned html! it’s really encouraging to hear that you figured it out because that is one of the things I was really worried about since i am not technologically savvy. so thank you for putting up those codes to show how easy it really is! and Congrats on getting your site up! i will definitely sign the guest book! so for your research now that the site is up — is that collecting the stories and info from alumni and putting it in an organized format or are there other things i am missing? lol. great job! im excited to see what alumni have to say!

2. #2 clevine
    on Mar 18th, 2010 at 11:33 am

The research on our groups part is reading yearbooks and Mary Washington History so that we can collect more information about the schools past as well as many of the photos that we have already put up. That being said, we are also going to use the comments, tags, stories, and pictures to piece together this history and organize it so that we can add it to the site.

3. #3 adegraffenreid31708
    on Mar 18th, 2010 at 8:26 pm

Congrats again! You all have done an amazing job so far! Yeah, HTML can be fun…until you mix up a semicolon and it dies on you:)

4. #4 cdonnell
    on Mar 21st, 2010 at 10:19 pm

Awesome site! Congrats to you and your group! I signed the guestbook!