Caryn's Digital History Blogsite Rotating Header Image

An Intro to Digital History

Hi, my name is Caryn and I am a BLS senior majoring in American Studies. I am supposed to graduate this summer after completing my thesis on the correlation between the Labor Movement and Folk Music from 1905-1925.  After graduation I intend to enroll in the Virginia Career Switchers program for Teaching where I will get certified to teach Language Arts and eventually Social Studies for ages 6-12. After years of administrative work, it will be a welcomed change to move on to something that I have a passion for. When I am not studying, working, or going to class, I can be found in coffee shops and bars around the DC metro area playing folk rock music!

I chose this course because I am intrigued by the idea of Digital History. I feel that the future education involves online research, websites, and PDF documentation. This course is a precursor to my teaching philosophy which includes using digital media as a teaching tool to motivate and inspire students. I am looking forward to working on our digital image project this semester, though it seems a bit daunting I believe that we are up to the task.

PS, I am having trouble syncing up to the Google Reader, is anyone else having this issue?

1 Comment on “An Intro to Digital History”

1. #1 Lauren Milner
    on Jan 19th, 2010 at 10:06 am

I love your thesis topic! Folk music from that era is so interesting.

I also like that you want to use digital means in the classroom. I can’t tell you how many times I fell asleep in class b/c the lesson was so boring and could have been spiced up with something visual. Unfortunately I know a lot of schools still don’t have a lot of the tools teachers need to get this done. Thats probably something that educators will have to advocate more in the near future.

Can’t wait for this class!